Have you recently decided to add an intercom system to your home or office? Adding an intercom system to your front gate or even your front door will give you the ability to screen potential visitors and only allow access to people who are supposed to be there.
Installing an intercom system has many benefits such as maintaining your privacy and enhancing your security. Deciding to install an intercom system is one thing. Actually going out and choosing the right one is something that requires some consideration and that’s what we can help you with.
What Points Should Be Considered Before Doing the Installation?
Intercom systems, like pretty much everything else in the world, can be found anywhere for any price. There are however a few points that you should take into consideration before you just pick any available system and attempt to install it. Let’s have a look at a few of them.
Consider Reason and Range
There are a few questions you need to ask yourself regarding your choice to install an intercom system.
Here are a few of them:
- Which areas do you need to connect?
- Do you need it to function as a bell or door buzzer?
- Do you want to have remote access?
- Do you want just an audio intercom system or a video intercom system?
- If you’re choosing the video option, do you want one-way or two-way video calling?
- Do you want to connect different rooms to one central office or room?
- Will the range required need to extend between floors?
An important factor to consider here is the signal range. Different types of systems have different ranges, depending on their desired uses. If you only want an intercom for the front door, that would have a different range to a system that’s meant for the whole house.
What Budget Are You Working With?
Everyone wants a state-of-the-art intercom system installed throughout their homes, but the reality is that your budget might not allow for that. Before you even begin shopping for the right intercom system, you should establish what budget you have available.
Laying out a clear budget will determine what brand and which features you can consider. It’s important to set money aside for a professional installation. It’s also important to determine what the running costs will be. For instance:
- How often do the batteries need to be replaced?
- What is the cost of batteries?
- Are there any other components that need replacing to ensure continuous functioning?
A big tip here is, over-the-top expensive doesn’t always mean better. Discuss your options, requirements, and budget with a professional at Australian Security and we’ll make sure to meet your expectations.
How Will an Intercom System Work With Your Current Security System?
Integrating your new intercom system into your current security system is essential. The last thing you need is to try and run two different systems just to save costs on installation. In the event of an emergency, you’ll benefit from having everything connected and running from one platform.
Consider Different Options
When it comes to intercom systems, you have two basic choices.
- Hard-wired: These are the traditional systems that have wires and cables connecting everything.
- Wireless: These units are exactly as the name dictates, wireless. It’s as easy as plugging the unit into a power source. While these particular units are more costly, they are a popular choice among homeowners as they are easy to install and integrate with current systems.
When considering the different options, enquire about the warranty for each product. You’ll need to know the coverage criteria, maintenance requirements and any other clauses that will keep your product covered.
Consider Your Surroundings
An intercom system can only provide top quality sound if there’s a clear signal. If you have any obstacles that may interfere with clear sound, you might want to consider moving the intercom. Alternatively, you could consider upgrading to a unit that can overcome any signal issues.
Use a Professional
Thanks to online videos, teaching yourself to do pretty much anything is just a few clicks away. However, there’s a big difference between a professional installation that is perfectly integrated into your current security system and a simple DIY job that saves you some money but cuts out at the first sign of rain or bad weather.
Using a professional installer, such as Australian Security will not only ensure that your system is connected properly, but also that it suits the aesthetics of your home. As professional installers, we will be able to provide you with one of the top security systems Melbourne vendors can offer!
Enhance your security, call for a FREE QUOTE TODAY – 1300 361 121!